Wednesday, January 28, 2004

So it's come to this...

The current sub-zero temperatures here in Peace River have been well documented, so i won't go into that again. I would however, like to mention, that the heat in the Record-Gazette office is all but broken. This is a very old building, it's very drafty and everything from the heat to the electricity has it's problems because, like I said, the building's old. I wasn't here right at 9 a.m with everyone else, but apparently it was colder inside than out.

In an effort to keep warm, the following measures were taken, with funny albeit unfortunate results.

Instead of smoking in the "lounge" in the basement, Kristin and the rest of the R-G'ers who smoke have taken to smoking in the tiny, dark boiler room where it's warm.
RESULT: Almost got stuck/locked in there when the door got stuck.

In the absence of real heat, Deb, the publisher, went out and bought four or five little portable heaters to keep us warm. So we plugged them in under our desks...
RESULT: The heaters shorted out most of the fuses in the building, leaving us with no lights, printers, computers or much else for over an hour. Like I said it's an old building.

Ken, (who's heater was the only one that didn't blow a fuse), the only one besides Deb who has a real office, closed his door in order to keep the heat in.
RESULT: He's turned himself into a hermit, and communication between Ken and his 2-person editorial staff is non-existent. Therefore I don't do any work. On the positive side, with the door closed he can't throw pencils at me all day.

In order to preserve what little body heat we've got left, both Jen (crazygirl) Dayna, Shelly and myself are all wearing tuques, despite being indoors.
RESULT: We all look like Elmer Fudd. (Except for me with my black tuque, Ken says it makes me look like a gangster or thug of some sort)

No comments: