Monday, January 12, 2004

:: Runnin' with the Devil ::

As I'm sure many of you are now aware, courtesy of my mass-emailing earlier in the day, I am the devil. Or so some people would have you believe. Let me fill you in on what's gone on:

When I arrived at work today, Shelly asked me if Ken had told me about "The Glenmary thing." I said "No." In fact, I didn't even no what "The Glenmary thing" was. Shelly's response: "Oh, I better not tell you then. Maybe Ken doesn't want you to know." Of course i eventually convinced her to tell me. So here's the deal.

Shelly has two twin nieces, who goes to the public high school. They happen to know some of the girls on the Catholic high school's -- Glenmary's-- volleyball team. This team was very successful this year, and they constantly complained about what they perceived to be a lack of coverage--which was unfounded and plain false.

Anyways, to say these girls -- more specifically Glenmary's coach-- are bitches, is the understatement of the year.
Well, they went one step further today. This bitch/coach is leaving next season, so her players lovingly made her a scrapbook of their season. And, privileged as I am, an entire page in the scrapbook is devoted to me. Not my stories, to me personally. They even drew devil horns on one of my pictures.


So apparently now I'm Evil Incarnate, which is a promotion from my current job. One minute i'm re-writing a press release, the next I rule all Hell. Sweet.

Now, being insulted and called the devil doesn't bother me. After all the shit these Glenmary* girls have given me over the past three months, it doesn't surprise me. What bugs me is the absolute hypocrisy of the situation. This is a religious school - and I'm no expert, but doesn't the Catholic religion, and basically all religions outside of Satanism (my chosen faith!) preach understanding, decency and general goodness? I haven't read the bible in..well, ever but I'm pretty sure I'm right. And here are these girls complaining non-stop, insulting me and generally being mean. Not exactly the definition of a good catholic, is it? But despite this, they think they're so saintly and good because "they go to church." Which is my inherent problem with Catholicism, and a lot of religions in fact. I don't mean to paint all religious people with the same brush, the aforementioned Shelly is Catholic and one of the nicest people I've met here in Peace River, but it's been my experience that most religious people reek of this hypocrisy.

They talk a good game, but when it comes right down to it, they aren't any better than the rest of us. So if I'm the devil and am going straight to Hell, I'll keep a few seats warm when I get there, because they'll be coming along right behind me.

*I'm using the word Glenmary as often as possible in the hope that google will pick up this post and forever attach it to the word 'Glenmary'.......Glenmary Glenmary Glenmary.

No comments: