Friday, January 30, 2004

I don't usually use this blog for messages directed at a certain person or group of people, after all, this isn't a bulletin board. But, since it's my blog I can do what I want, I'm breaking the rules for this one.

I was talking to Jer and Gorski over the past few days and it seems that the two of them, plus Tara, are planning on moving to Grande Prairie or some other northern outpost. My only question, is why?

Well, actually I know why. You want to get better jobs, live on your own, and all that stuff. Those are good enough reasons, there's no denying that. But, as someone who currently lives in Northern Alberta, I'd just like to say this: Alberta, and the north in particular, isn't all it's cracked up to be. Now, hold on a minute before you get all mad, and let me explain. Ever since I was in high school I've always heard millions of people say "oh I'm going to Alberta to work." I never got that really, but since I didn't know, I just figured Alberta was this mecca for employment and cash. Well now that I've lived here for a bit, I can tell you this: The 'mystique' of Alberta is non-existent. That's not to say it's not a nice place, because it's fine. But there aren't riches beyond compare as soon as you get east of the Rockies. It is colder though.

The saying "The grass isn't always greener on the other side" is a saying for a reason. It's usually true.

Now that's not to say you guys shouldn't go - I mean you can obviously do what you want. I'm just saying that you probably aren't going to find any better or more jobs in Alberta than you would anywhere else, especially now that the oil rig jobs are done for the season (As is my understanding). Trust me. Of course, I don't expect any of you to listen to me, after all, Jeremy is just as stubborn as me, if not more, so I don't expect you to take heed of any of this stuff. I'm just tellin' you what I think that's all, since I'm the one who's here -- I don't really mean to discourage you.

But hey, do what cha want. Just think about it good first, that's my advice guys. Like I said, the grass ain't always greener. If it were, I wouldn't be trying to get back to the original side of the fence.

No comments: