Monday, January 05, 2004

Following Mike's lead, I've done this survey on the year that was.

A 2003 Survey

1. What did you do in 2003 that you'd never done before?
- Got a "real", (ie: post graduation) job.
- Threw a Christmas tree off a balcony
- got drunk by the early afternoon.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't keep my last year's resolution, and I didn't make one this year, because I never keep them anyways.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not that I can recall.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thankfully.

5. What countries did you visit?
Just Canada.

6. What would you like to have in 2004 that you lacked in 2003?
A promising career path. Oh, and money.

7. What date from 2003 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 8 - A party gone horribly wrong.
April 9 - Last day of classes ever at UCC
September 11 - I officially took the job in Peace River

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Graduating university.

9. What was your biggest failure?
There were two: 1) Failed to find a job close to home. The second one i'll keep to myself, but it has something to do with the party gone horribly wrong, and my 2003 New Year's resolution.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nope, except for the usual end-of-year burnout in April, but I knew it was coming.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I bought a few good things: 6 disgusting orange ties, a bunch of furniture for my apartment, and I bought a lot of beer.

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Melissa's, for coming to Peace River to spend New Year's with me. Also, the boys in Walnut Grove, for no specific reason other than whenever I come back from wherever I've been, they're always there, same as always, and it's probably the nicest part of coming home.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
A few anonymous friends from UCC who, at times over 2003, acted like idiots. Not towards me, mind you, but to people I know.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Alcohol, rent, tuition, car payments.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Many things: The martini night, end of year j-school blowout, coming home for the summer, Merritt Mountain Music Fest, coming home for Christmas.

16. What songs will always remind you of 2003?
Gob - Ming Tran
James Kochalka - Monkey vs. Robot
Flock of Seagulls - I Run (from playing too much Vice City on PS2)
Brooks and Dunn - Red Dirt Road
Simple Plan - Addicted

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? a little sadder
ii. thinner or fatter? dunno, thinner maybe.
iii. richer or poorer? about the same for the moment.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Looked harder for a job (in the beginning)

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Thinking.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent it in Langley with my family.

21. Did you fall in love in 2003?
no

22. How many one-night stands?
None to speak of unfortunately, but not for lack of trying. (Isn't that right Jer? - "within reason...but, not really.")

23. What was your favorite TV program?
Canucks games on SportsNet. And DVD episodes of Sports Night.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No I don't hate a lot of people. I'm on pretty good terms with mostly everyone in my life right now.

26. What was the best book you read?
Shoeless Joe by W.P Kinsella

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Billy Talent, Alexisonfire, and a lot of rare, old Matthew Good songs.

28. What did you want and get?
My diploma, a job, a lot of new friends.

29. What did you want and not get?
-A Canucks Stanley Cup win
-to end "the slump."

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Pirates of the Caribbean
The Return of the King

(mike's addition): What was the worst films you saw this year?
Almost the same as mike's list:
Swept Away
Courage Mountain
Legally Blonde 2
Maid in Manhattan

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 22. I spent it in Kamloops with Mike, Meghan and Melissa. We went to Earl's then back to the girls' place where Meghan and Melissa proceeded to phone and break "the news" to Vanessa's family. The Canucks also lost 6-0 to St. Louis that night.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being able to stay in the Lower Mainland.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2003?
I don't know, casual mostly, but I clean up real nice when I have to. Orange ties were also a fashion statement last year.

34. What kept you sane?
my family, sleep, watching Sports Night.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
None that I can think of right now.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I guess, aside from the whole Iraq-war deal, I'd agree with Mike and say the Gordon Campbell DUI arrest for the simple reason that it gave us a reason to get wasted on martinis, in his honour of course.

37. Who did you miss?
My friends who aren't here right now, and of course my family. My friends are spread out now, and will be even more come Spring, so wherever I am, I'm always missing someone.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
In no particular order: Melissa, Mike, Meghan, and Sean. Four of my best friends.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2003?
Don't be afraid to take a chance once in awhile, but be prepared if it doesn't work out.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

"I missed the last song
I blame myself for just standing there too long
I missed the last song
I blame myself for just standing there" [Theory of a Deadman "The Last Song"]

"I'm twenty two, don't know what I'm supposed to do
or how to be, to get some more out of me.
I'm twenty two, so far away from all my dreams" [Millencolin "twenty-two"]

No comments: