Thursday, January 01, 2004

:: In the Cold, Cold Night ::

Last night was, of course New Year's Eve, and it was a pretty good night - we went out for Chinese Food, sat around drinking rye, then hit up The Moon Saloon, which Melissa says was a typical northern bar. Not having any previous experience with northern bars, I just took her word for it. So we danced and drank and generally had a fun time at the bar - it was packed, and I saw a few people that I knew, it was a good night.

Until the end of it.

You see, not only was The Moon a typical northern bar, outside it was also typical northern weather. Cold. Like -28 kind of cold. We wandered outside at about 1:30, intent of beating the rush for cabs. No cabs were waiting outside, so I called for one, only to be told that the company was incredibly busy, and there was a minimum 1 hour wait for a ride. So we wandered across the road/highway to a closed Esso station where there was a phone booth and phone book. I called the only other taxi company in town, and they only had a 20 minute wait. Perfect right? Nope.

The cab never came, and after another phone call we were assured that one was "on the way", which of course, was bullshit. No cab was going to stop at a closed gas station when all the people were across the highway at the bar. So we waited and froze - especially Melissa, who's feet were so cold and sore she couldn't walk. After awhile a cab finally came, but it wasn't even the one we called for. "I just saw you guys standing there as I drove by and figured you needed a ride," the cabbie told us. Regardless, we got home at about 2:15 and starting the process of thawing ourselves out.

I made it my new year's resolution to never go to the Moon Saloon without my car ever again.

No comments: