Tuesday, April 20, 2004

:: Reuniting through hate ::

It's funny how something as sinister as the Calgary Flames beating the Canucks can bring people together. I was sitting here at work, downloading Matthew Good songs instead of working, and I get a message on msn out of nowhere from my old UCC roommate Cory, who I shared a quad with in the dorms my first year. He's from Edmonton, and thus an Oilers fan, and clearly hates seeing the Flames succeed at anything.

I hadn't talked to him in well over a year, and actually had deleted him from my msn buddy list. Here is the first part of our conversation (Cory's name is I hate the flames):

I Hate the Flames: Soooo gay!
I Hate the Flames: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
Fuck: I hear ya man, I fuckin' hate 'em too.
I Hate the Flames: Terrible. Just terrible.
Fuck: I know.

Also, with the Canucks loss unfortunately in mind, I found something that sums them up perfectly. Oddly enough, I found it in a Nirvana song. I was listening to "You Know you're right" and these lyrics made sense: "I have never failed to fail."

Truer words were never spoken about the Canucks. Every year they fuck things up. If nothing else, at least they're consistent.

Remember in 1994 when the New York Rangers won the Cup and everyone made such a huge deal about how it had been 40 years since they won? Next year the Canucks will be at year 35. Just in case you were wondering.

No comments: