Thursday, April 01, 2004

:: Puttin' the screws to 'em ::

I've decided to be a jerk.

For those of you with some snide remark about how I already am a jerk (Mike, Jeremy, I'm looking in your directions), just keep it to yourself for now. For those of you without smartass comments, I know the news has probably come as a shock to you.

What am I talking about? Good question.

You see, Ken, my editor, quit today. He got a much better, less stressful job in Prince George. I was a little bummed that he took it, but they made him a very good offer and he took it. Can't say I blame him. Anyways, on to my potential jerky-ness.

The first thing I asked myself after Ken told me he quit was, "Oh shit, this is going to be Hell. How can we put a paper out without an editor?"

The second thing i asked myself was "How can I make this work for me?" This is how: I'm getting a raise out of this deal.

Our publisher is already freaking out that Ken is leaving. She's a headcase on the best of days and immediately left work and went to the bar after Ken broke the news to her. So I'm going to take advantage of that. I know that without Ken she's going to try and work me to the bone and it'll suck. Well, I'm not doing it.

I figure that I already work an obscene amount of unpayed overtime as it is, and I'm going to refuse to work more for my paltry salary. So I'm going inform my publisher that I won't work any more than I already do, and won't do any editor-work unless I'm getting paid like an editor. That means a temporary increase of about $6,000 a year. It's temporary because I don't want to be the editor, but I'll get stuck doing it until they hire someone else.

I know that sounds kind of petty and selfish, and it is, but I don't really care. If I really liked this paper and the people in the office I would do the extra work no questions asked, but since I don't particularly like them, I'm going to make 'em pay me.

What are they gonna do, fire me?

Of course they could, but after already losing an editor, they aren't gonna risk losing another reporter. I'm sure the boss will refuse my demand for extra money, but I don't think she's really in a position to argue. And if she is, well, maybe I'll just take my toys and go home.

Ah, the upper hand. (Let's see how long it lasts)


*As an aside, I'm sending out about 15 resumes on Saturday.

No comments: