Monday, April 26, 2004

:: Been and Gone ::

Well today was moving day, and let me tell you, what an eventful day it was. For starters, I still had to go in to work. Thankfully I was done the paper in record time (10:45 am). So I was home and packing up the U-Haul by 11:30. Which was nice.

Also, in the last few days I've been looking for real reasons to make me mad and really want to leave - even moreso than I already do. I was trying to do that because, as much as I do want to leave (obviously), there are little things that I'll miss - like having my own apartment for one thing. And everyone knows it's easier to leave something behind when you are mad.
Well, consider that mission accomplished. Because after today, I'm pissed.

You see, my car insurance ran out on Sunday. So today I went over to the insurance place to see my friend Moe, who said he'd get me some sort of deal to make sure I got home alright. Basically, because I still had BC plates, I needed to get some kind of temp insurance that would save me from getting Alberta plates and registering my car in this province, since i'm leaving in like 2 days.

Well, Moe cut me a "deal" (see: fraud, insurance). No problem there. The only problem being - even thought I now had valid insurance, I still didnt have plates, which Moe said I should go buy just to avoid getting pulled over. So I walked across the street to the vehicle registry, angry but ready to shell out $88 for one licence plate. Fine. Whatever works to get me home. So I go there, and I'm informed that before I get a licence plate my car needs to go through a vehicle inspection - because, obviously, a 2002 car has all kinds of mechanical problems and Alberta wouldn't want that on the road. Also, they wouldn't give me a vehicle inspection form, but they would gladly sell me one, for $8. Eight bucks is nothing, but c'mon, it's a fuckin piece of paper.

So I wasn't too happy and was fully prepared to just cover my old expired B.C plate in mud and drive with valid insurance but expired out-of -province plates. But then my parents convinced me to get the car inspected and get an Alberta plate. So I called around, and NONE of the places that are certified to do inspections could get my car in today. NONE. Finally, after much stress and many phone calls, the Ford dealership promised they'd fit me into their schedule somewhere. God Bless Ford.

So at 4:25, after a 45 minute inspection, i picked up my car, paid $107 for them to tell me my car was road safe, and i bolted for the registry office before it closed. Luckily I made it in time, paid the thiefs $88 for my plate and came home.

So, to review: $8 - Inspection form, $107 - Inspection, $88 - Plates.

Then when I went to leave the registry, feeling mauled and suitably gauged, the woman handed me my licence plate and said "Welcome to Alberta."

Welcome to Alberta? Nice damn welcome.

My Alberta licence plate's first 3 letters are BAG. Been and Gone. Thankfully.

The only person all day who didn't try and screw me was Moe. Good ol' Moe is actually one of the few guys in this town I'll miss. He's a real good guy. The rest of them all bastards.

No comments: