Wednesday, April 14, 2004

:: Peace out, Peace in ::

I know I mentioned it earlier in the edited post you see below this one, but I figured that news of this magntitude deserved it's own space. Also i'm so happy I can't sleep so I'm staying up and typing.

So the news is that I got a new job in White Rock. And if you could see me right now you'd see a guy who probably couldn't be any happier. As Ken said to me when he found out he got the Prince George job: "I'm so happy right now I could almost cry."

It also occurred to me that I'm really just trading one Peace for another. I'm leaving the Peace River Record-Gazette for the Peace Arch News.

Now the only hard part is telling my publisher that I'm leaving. Normally, it wouldn't be a problem, but Ken just left a few days ago, and the new editor won't be here for awhile yet. I won't leave them in the lurch, but it's still not an ideal situation for the paper, and my conscience was making me feel a tiny bit bad. But then I realized I shouldn't feel bad, because it's WAY better for ME: Closer to home, bigger paper, bigger city, bigger paycheque. Like i told my grandpa when I talked to him, the only way this could get any better would be if the job was actually in Langley. I was kidding of course, because that's really splitting hairs. Besides, beggers can't be choosers.

There are a couple odd ironic moments out of all of this too. Earlier in the month my mom kept asking me what I wanted for my birthday, and I couldn't really think of anything so I kept saying "find me a job, that's a good present." And when my parents were here visiting last week, it was actually my mom who dropped my resume off in the mail for me because I was at work. It's a little past my birthday, but at least this present came sooner than Mike's. (haha, just kidding buddy.) Also, funny moment number two: As my parents were getting into their car to leave for home, I pulled around the corner on my way to work and shouted jokingly "See you in two weeks!" Turns out, it's almost exactly that. Weird.

It really is great. And if it puts this paper at a bit of a disadvantage for awhile, well that's just too damn bad. As Denis Leary says, "Life's tough, get a fucking helmet."

But while life's tough for some, it's just gettin' better for others. Now, maybe I can take of my helmet.

:: Strange Days ::

It really has been a strange day, as Meghan pointed out to me tonight. Meghan got asked out by some creepshow of a guy, Melissa is moving in with former nemesis Heather Black, and I'm coming back.

Yep, it's strange alright Meghan. Pass me that opium bong when you're done with it, will ya?

I just hope they don't have drug testing at my new job.

No comments: