Monday, April 12, 2004

"It makes my mouth dry and then it sticks to the inside of my mouth and it takes like an hour to get it all out of my teeth." - Sarah. (She was talking about cake, you perverts)

Kristin: So, when are you leaving this place?
Nick: My answer to that question changes depending on who else is in the room.
Kristin: Okay, nobody's here but me.
Nick: Soon then.
Kristin: I don't blame you.

:: The cards I'm dealt::

It's been a whirlwind last few days. My parents came up last Wednesday, and they stayed for my birthday and for the Easter Weekend, which was great. We went to Grande Prairie one day, watched three Canucks games, drank some beer, helped Ken move. All in all, an excellent week.

Except now they're gone back home, and Ken's leaving for Prince Georgo tomorrow morning. I'm suddenly very alone, and the people at work have picked a fine time to start annoying me. Jen is as useless as ever. The next two weeks while we're editor-less will be, no doubt, sheer hell. Don't believe me? Well tomorrow night I have to miss the Canucks-Flames game to go to a fucking council meeting. When has a sports reporter ever had to do that? Under normal circumstances Jen, the news reporter, would go since it's well, HER JOB, but because she is absolutely useless and bound to fuck things up, I'm probably going to go in her place. Which is just sad. If we had competent people running this joint I wouldn't be nearly as worried. But those are the cards we're dealt here at the R-G - all Jokers.

So that's my week in a nutshell - and what I've got to show for it is some pictures I took when my parents were here, sore arms from helping Ken move, and a kitchen full of groceries - including a ton from Ken and Jess's place, which I raided since they can't really take food with them on their move.

I also got some info about our incoming editor. He's moving from Nova Scotia (for some reason) and he's been a journalist for over 25 years. In fact, he won a best reporter award...in 1980 (That's before I was born for Christ's sakes). He's also a written books and has numerous other big honours, he's bi-lingual (English/French) and is originally from some island country in Africa.

So at least I know he'll be good. Although with all he's accomplished in his life, his decision to move from Nova Scotia to a tiny paper in Peace River has me wondering about his mental state. At the very least, maybe he'll light a fire under Jen's ass so she actually does some work. Or maybe he'll run her right out the door.

And as good as this guy will probably be for the paper, I hopefully won't be far behind her. I'm still waiting for any kind of response from my 15+ resumes I've sent out.

No comments: