Friday, April 25, 2003

Melissa left today.

Our little journalism brigade has officially started to fold up our tents and leave camp.

Melissa said it's like the fellowship of the ring breaking up, and I guess she's partly right. Except in the Lord of the Rings they head for Mt. Doom. I hope we're not headed down the same path. Things have been strange/tense lately in our little fellowship, but I'd like to just chalk it up to moving/packing/cleaning stress. I hope that's all it is. But maybe I'm being overly optimistic.

Mike and I took Melissa to the bus depot tonight. It was sad to know that we won't see each other for 4 months, probably longer. But it was a surprisingly emotionless parting-of-ways. Melissa warned us she'd more than likely cry, and I figured I'd be holding back some emotions of my own. But it wasn't like that at all. No tears, no real sadness, just a quick hug and a "have a good summer."

I don't quite know what to think about that--lack of feeling is not something I usually suffer from. It's very odd, although I have declared myself to officially be in my new "Fuck it" mode, so maybe this lack of sadness is just part of that.

I didn't even really say much to Melissa before she left. I might've mumbled something about "have a good trip" but I don't really remember. It would've been nice to at least have been able to squeeze out an "I'll miss you" but oh well, I probably don't need to tell her that. I'm sure she already knows.

I know I should be at least a little bit sad, after all, It'll be many moons before I see one of my best friends again, but I don't really feel anything. Maybe once all this crazy moving-day business is over with it'll hit me. Or maybe it won't.

Who really knows.

Fuck it.

No comments: