Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Today was a very weird day. At times good, at times stressful, bad, shocking, and annoying.

For starters, today we had our usual Wednesday story meeting at work. And, for the first time since I started in May, I really had next to nothing to write about - which is scary considering that my boss doesn't get too happy when he hears "I got nothing." Take, for example, this:

I paused briefly between item 1 and item 2 on my list...

"Is that it?" says boss.
"Uh, no, I got a bit more."
"Good, because otherwise you and me were gonna have words."

Youch.

So I emerged from said meeting with a meagre list of stories to write. The phrases 'grasping at straws' and 'scraping the bottom of the barrel' come to mind. So I set out to come up with something - frantically. So I hit the phones. I called 9-10 people within about a 15 minute span.

No one was there. 10 messages.

10 in 15 minutes. Nice start to the day.

So I sat at my desk for the majority of my day, working on some small projects and basically trying to look busy. Then, for 45 minutes or so, I left to go to the curling rink to chat with a few guys and take a quick picture.

When I got back: 10 messages.

The times on the 10 little pink message slips read as follows: 2:54, 2:57, 3:30, 3:31, 3:34, 3:34, 3:37: 3:41, 3:43, 3:44.

EVERYONE CALLED AT ONCE.

Needless to say, I barely got to call anybody back before going home at 5:00.

Considering how much catch-up work I'll have tomorrow, Thursday ain't shaping up to be any better than Wednesday.

Then, on my way home I picked up my newly fixed (again!) computer from Geeks R Us (seriously, that's what it's called). I'm glad it's fixed, but it cost me $235. Coming a day after I paid $343 for a plane ticket to Toronto and my debit card is crying right now just a little bit.

Now the shocking part of my day - at least it was to me. I was lounging around the house as I do most week nights, not doing much of anything. Then, for the first time in a loooong time, I decided to step on the bathroom scale. Let's just say it was a LOT higher than I thought it'd be. While my
eating better plan seemed to be working - and I still think it is - I was still quite taken aback. It was pretty depressing actually.

So, finally I got fed up. For the first time, well, ever, I decided to go for a jog. Now, to be fair, this was really more of a walk, I did run for a bit, however small a distance. I actually went for a pretty decent jaunt - about 45 minutes around Walnut Grove.

And now my legs hurt. And my feet. And my back.

Maybe I'll do it again tomorrow. Fucking bathroom scale.

No comments: