Thursday, February 19, 2004

In a work day that was so unproductive it could possibly rival all other unproductive days that came before it, a number of things happened that had me thinking.

First off, I realized that as far as my job is concerned, I just need to get calmed down a bit with regards to getting a better job. While I would, admittedly, like a different job, I started wondering why I suddenly was getting all flustered and rushed about it. The reason I came up with is this: Ken is probably leaving soon, and I'd just as soon not be here for the fallout. Also I hang out with Ken so often, his "gotta get out of this fucking town ASAP" has rubbed off on me a bit. But the reality is I have no real reason to be rushed.

Without going into detail, the aftermath of Kenny Mac's * exit might be a bit ugly. There will be no editor, It'll probably be a little more stressful, and now Ken wants to use his two-weeks vacation as his two weeks notice. Essentially, giving no notice. And I know how much Ken doesn't like it here. He'll go out with a bang, no doubt about it.

Anyway, those details aside, I decided not to let that bug me or rush me into doing something dumb like taking a stupid job I don't really want. If I'm here for the ugly aftermath, then so be it. It won't really be my concern if he leaves - I'm not the publisher, just a lowly sports guy after all. I'd just as soon not be here for the ugliness/confusion, but c'est la vie.

Secondly, I had/still have a moral dilemna to think about. I've been thinking of applying for the editor gig at the Omega. It would be a good job, probably a lot of fun, and it pays reasonably well I think. And on top of that its in Kamloops, a town I like quite a bit and is close to home. Also, if I do say so myself, I'd have a very good shot at getting the job. All good right?

Not really. I also found out that a couple friends of mine also want the job. Now, the absolute last thing I want to do is screw over one or both of my friends, especially Mike since I think he'd be especially good at the job. But is it right to bow out just because I know the competition?

On one hand, you don't want your friends to be pissed/angry/irked or upset with you. On the other hand, it's just business and may the best man win, right? Who the hell knows. I certainly don't know what to do.

It's just one of the things that bounced around my head during one of the most unproductive days of my working life. All that thinking about it, and chances are I won't even apply.

God I hope tomorrow is busier. An idle mind is a terrible thing sometimes.


* That's Ken's 'gangster name' after he read a daily deco on my cubicle wall and started calling me Nicky G all the time.

No comments: