Sunday, February 15, 2004

I'm sick of staring at the same almost-week-old post day after day, as I'm sure you are. But since there's nothing really blog-worthy going on in my life right now, I've decided to copy Mike and do the Friday Five It may be copying Mike, but that's ok. I mean, who doesn't want to be like Mike anyways?

Friday 5

1. Are you superstitious?
Yes, extremely. Most of which have their roots from my days playing sports.

2. What extremes have you heard of someone going to in the name of superstition?
I can't really think of any that other people have done - except of course for the NHL Playoffs when players don't shave. (A task which me and Silv tried doing in last years playoffs, with mixed results...I think Silv is probably still trying to grow his. Mine didn't look to good either.)

3. Believer or not, what's your favorite superstition?
I like a lot of hockey superstitions -- guys who put their equipment on in the exact same order every game, players who have to hit all three posts in warmups, or my own superstition from my goaltending years: If I hadn't let in a goal yet and someone said the word 'shutout' I'd inevitably let in at least one goal by the end. It happened with amazing accuracy - once with 6 seconds left. If my mom heard someone in the stands from my team say the word, she'd get really mad at them so they'd realize what they had done. So the superstition, in a nutshell, No saying 'Shutout.'

4. Do you believe in luck? If yes, do you have a lucky number/article of clothing/ritual?
I have a lucky ball of used stick tape from a big winning streak I had when I was about 12 years-old. I still have it in a ball, and it while it may not be as lucky as it used to be, I still swear by it. I once brought it to a final exam with me. And my lucky number is 3. Almost every hockey season I tried to get a jersey number with 3 in it (especially 33 - doubly good!), unless it was a year where goalies were stuck with #1 (also a good number though).

5. Do you believe in astrology? Why or why not?
I usually don't, although on occasion the horoscopes are bang-on accurate. I'm an Aries, for those who care.

*note: These questions made me realize how crazy I am with all these superstitions. I blame the old stereotype: That goalies are crazy and are supposed to be flakes.

No comments: