Tuesday, March 23, 2010

:: I appreciate the effort, but I'd rather you just get it right ::

Every day at about 9:30 a.m., two colleagues and I go on a coffee run to the Tim Horton's just down the road. We've been going to this same place every day, four-five days a week, since we moved into this office last June. And because we've become regulars there, the employees have basically memorized our regular orders.

Well, they think they have, at least.

Lately, the two women who regularly work as cashiers/order-takers have taken great delight in announcing our orders to us as we approach the till – before we've even said anything. They like to let us know, "Hey, I remember you!" and you know what? I appreciate the effort. I really do.

But I'd appreciate it a lot more if they – just once – got my order right. I have to correct them every single day. And sometimes, because they a) are English-as-a-second-language types and b) because they've already started punching in what they think is my order, they often screw it up, and I get what they think I want, rather than what I actually do. (Or sometimes some combination of the two).

Every day, I order the same thing – one extra-large coffee with two milk for me, and usually, one extra-large hot chocolate for my boss, who often just sends two bucks with one of us, rather than make the trek himself.

And usually I end up with either two sugars, no cream, or two-and-two, or one-and-one, or two hot chocolates. Yeah, they're pretty good at their jobs.

And I hate to be a jerk about it – because they seem genuinely nice – but at 9:30 in the damn morning, I need coffee in order to make it through to lunch, I need it quickly, and I need it done right.

Is that too much to ask?

No comments: