Tuesday, March 30, 2010

:: A week off ::

I think that I've mentioned this before, but in the past – especially when I was in college – I would get sick at the end of nearly every semester or long period of stress/work, etc.

In school, I used to spend the first 3-4 days of my Christmas break, and usually the first couple days of the summer, lying in bed not because I was lazy (although I was) but because I felt awful and worn down. Basically, my body and my brain were exhausted.

I've had a few similar episodes since I graduated – usually after a rough week or two stretch at work, but by and large, it hasn't been that bad. I don't tend to get too stressed out these days, even if I do still have a recurring dream where I wake up (in my dream, not in real life) only to realize I have a semester's worth of projects/essays/final exams to do that day, and haven't prepared for any of them.

That dream stems from the time that really did happen to me –my final semester before graduation. But that's another story for another day. The point is, for the last few years, I've been pretty stress-free, never feeling too worn down.

But right now, I feel, not worn down or stressed per se, but just... off.

At work, for example, I haven't been able to focus as much as usual, and while I don't think my work has really suffered, I just haven't felt too good. The creativity/writing ability needed to do my job just isn't here right now, and I don't know where it's gone.

And the thing is, I'm not particularly stressed with regard to work, nor am I getting sick like I used to in college, nor am I overly tired or worn down physically, but I think the fact that work has been a little tougher than usual (including working a few weekends) plus the fact that all the house-selling/buying/packing/moving drama is over with, has really absolutely drained me.

I'm having a tough time putting it into words (which is obvious, if you've read this far), but I just feel like my brain needs a break. A serious, more-than-a-long-weekend break where I don't think about work at all.

Of course, we have Easter Weekend coming up (even if I only get three days off, not four), and then it's my birthday, and then I have a week off for Vegas, so that break is coming soon.

But really, it can't come soon enough.

And even though I know that going to Vegas with about 20 people – or whatever the number is at now – isn't exactly a recipe for relaxation, it at least will get my mind a chance to be addled with booze, instead of work-related thoughts.

God knows I need it.

No comments: