Wednesday, March 17, 2010

:: Get to know your girlfriend ::

Earlier today, while we were sitting around after dinner, Christene sort of giggled to herself for no reason. I asked her what was so funny, and she said she had a random memory pop into her head.

When she was in her early 20s, Christene dated a deadbeat guy named Dan* for a couple years. For their second anniversary, they went out for a fancy dinner. During the meal - probably with his mouth full of food - Dan looked across the table at Christene and blurted out this gem: "Ya know, we've dated for two years, and I don't even know you."

The dinner ended a little later that night**, and the relationship, shockingly, ended soon after.

*This isn't just me looking down on her ex-boyfriends. He really was a deadbeat.
**Christene had to pay because Dan was broke. Told ya he was a deadbeat.


Anyways, the story quickly morphed into a contest between Christene and I to see who really knew the other person better. Christene passed almost all the questions I threw her way, and quickly, I may add.

Then she asked me a bunch. The correct answers are bolded.

Christene: What's my favourite colour?
Me: Blue?
Christene: No.
Me: oh, purple!
Christene: No.
Me: Green!

Christene: How many jobs have I had in my life?
Me: Four!
(long pause)
Me: Five!
Christene: It's seven.
Me: oh.

Christene: What's the best concert I've ever been to? I know I've talked about this before.
Me, without hesitation: Weezer, when you were in the luxury box!
Christene: Nope.
Me: Tenacious D!
Christene: No.... it was David Lee Roth in 2003*. It was fucking amazing!

*The fact that David Lee Roth is Christene's favourite concert, and not some fruity new pop band or something else lame, gives her big-time points in my books.

Christene: What was my first car?
Me: Hmmm.... a Sunfire?
Christene: No.
Me: That old Audi?
Christene: No.
Me: Some kind of Asuna?
Christene: NO!
Me: Oh, the Neon. The Neon was the first!
Christene: The 1990 Ford Tempo!

For the record, Christene didn't guess my first car either - she chose the Mustang over my real first car, a rusty 1983 Honda Accord. But other than the real easy ones ("What colour are my eyes?) the only mildy tough - and I stress the world mildly - question I answered correctly on the first try was when Christene asked me how many dogs/cats she had at various points growing up, and their corresponding names.

For the record, the answer was the following: Dogs: 1 chihuahua (Mitzy), 2 boxers (Molly and Louise), and one Boston terrier (Athena). Cats: 2, Felix (who had no tail) and Little Mo (who is still kicking, and is pretty rad).

But overall, yeah, a pretty forgettable effort. But two things still work in my favour.

For starters, I have nine months to bone up on these facts before our second anniversary, and secondly, no matter what - even if between then and now I forget the things I did answer correctly, I'd still never stick Christene with the bill on our anniversary.

Unless, you know, the one thing I forget that night is my wallet.

No comments: