Monday, March 22, 2004

:: The weirdest series that ever was ::

For the past two weeks I've watched what is quite possibly the oddest playoff series I've ever witnessed - a playoff final no less. The first two rounds didn't produce any surprises and the NWJHL final has been between the top two teams in the regular season - the Peace Air Navigators and the Fort St. John Huskies.

The series is weird because its simultaneously a close series and a blowout. Confused? Yeah, me too. It's close because, after game 5 tonight, the series is 3 games to 2 for the Navs, and neither team has ever won back-to-back games. However, as close as that seems, none of the five games have been close. The scores have been: 6-2 Peace Air, 5-2 Fort St. John, 6-2 Peace Air, 8-0 Fort St. John and then tonight, 7-0 Peace Air. See what I mean? It's just weird.

On top of that I've seen a goalie pull himself from the game after letting in 2 goals on 2 shots, throwing a hissy fit on the way to the bench; I've seen a defenceman angrily fire a puck into the stands in the direction of some hecklers, and tonight I saw a guy from Peace Air, who just two games ago was pronounced "out for the season" with a separated shoulder come back after only a one game absence and score two goals, including one on a huge slapshot that I'm still surprised didn't cause the guy's injured arm to just fall off.

And on Wednesday I'm making the road trip down to Fort St. John for Game 6, God only knows what will happen there. After the first five games, nothing will surprise me.

No comments: