Tuesday, March 09, 2004

:: Actions not results ::

Mike was eager to hear what I had to say on the whole Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore situation that happened in last night's Canucks-Avs game. I was reluctant to weigh in on it because, first of all, I was having trouble putting my words together in a way that made sense. It was just one of those days I guess. Also I didn't want to look like a jerk when I said I don't think Bertuzzi should get suspended for as long as peopel are suggesting.

I've changed my mind a bit, and I'll say this:

There is no question what Bertuzzi did was wrong and awful. Steve Moore was seriously hurt and Bertuzzi should be suspended for an extended length of time, maybe 8-10 games. But in my mind, 8-10 is where it should stop. None of this 15-20 games plus playoffs nonsense.

The reason being is that, as bad as Moore's injuries are (concussion, cuts, fractured vertebrae), I think the most serious injury - the back - was caused not by Bertuzzi's cheapshot but by the dog pile that resulted on top of Moore. But of course I know that the pile-up would never had occurre if Bertuzzi had just kept his emotions in check and his hands to himself. However, because it's tough to tell what injuries resulted from what, I think Bertuzzi's suspension should be as a result of his actions not the overall result. And Bertuzzi's action was a gloved punch to the side/back of a helmet.

Let's pretend for a minute that the pile up doesn't occur. Therefore, Moore probably doesnt hurt his back and probably doesn't get cut as badly as he did. So he's got a concussion. Bad injury? Certainly. Suspendable? Yes. But not for 15 games and playoffs.

If that happens then why wasn't Bryan Allen suspended that many games when he slashed Henrik Zetterberg and broke his leg. Allen and Bertuzzi both broke a bone of the other player. If we're handing out suspensions based on overall results then why is one worse than the other? The results of both are the same - broken bones.

Bertuzzi's actions were worse than Allen's that's why. And he should get more punishment for it. But the suspension shouldn't be based on how many cuts Steve Moore has on his face, or how long he'll be injured for.

As bad as it looked on TV, and it was ugly no doubt, in the end, all Bertuzzi did was punch him. Yes it was from behind. Yes it was probably damn hard. But in the end, a punch is a punch is a punch.

Regardless of how many people pile on afterwards.

No comments: