Thursday, May 20, 2010

:: Candy Salad ::

When I was a kid, I had what I thought at the time was a culinary creation for the ages. In retrospect, it was a pretty disgusting idea – a total Fat Guy move – but it's the kind of thing you'd expect from a pudgy 11-year-old.

My idea – which came to me while eating dinner at my grandparents' old house in South Surrey – was for a Candy Salad. What you'd do, see, is replace lettuce with chips, and all the veggies, croutons and other things you'd normally find in salad would be replaced by various delicious treats - gummy bears, chocolate chunks, Smarties, Ju-jubes, etc... And what would replace the dressing?

Well chocolate and caramel sauce, of course.

See? I told you it was a total Fat Guy move. Regardless, this was my brilliant idea. I never actually made the Candy Salad – there's probably no way in hell any parent would allow such a thing to be made, but still, I always remembered my brilliant (at the time) idea.

And I was reminded of it again this week when Christene was telling me about a surprise wedding shower that somebody threw for somebody else at her office the other day.

A lot of people brought food and goodies for the event, including one woman who channelled her inner-child and brought, you guessed it, a candy salad. (She called it a chocolate salad, but it's the same general idea)

It had the following things: chocolate almonds, chocolate raisins, Aero minis, Reece's pieces and "any other chocolate I could find."

I mean, there's no Doritos or caramel sauce, but still, she stole my fucking idea.

If I could go back in time, my pudgy 11-year-old self would totally copyright that shit.

No comments: