Tuesday, January 20, 2009

:: Don't steal music, dick ::

One thing I don't do very often on this blog is tell you what to do (lie), or suggest that my taste in music/movies/TV/clothes/lifestyle/etc.. is better than yours (lie). However, because I'm feeling generous, I'm going to give you all some suggested downloads that I've come across in the last couple weeks.

I have a permanent file in the memo section of my BlackBerry called Tunage, which is where I jot down any songs I hear that I want to download once I get home. Ever since I got hooked up to Sirius radio last year - with its numerous channels and wide range of songs - I've been discovering a lot of good stuff, some old, some new. And some I'd heard plenty before but just forgot about. The selection really runs the gamut from rock, more pop-ish rock, to some rap (which most of you will hate), and even a Willie Nelson song.

So, without further adieu, here's some stuff you should find online or elsewhere.*

MGMT "Time To Pretend" "Electric Feel" "Kids"
Poppy rock that's catchy as fuck. The first song plays during the opening montage of the movie 21, and I discovered the rest after that. It's sort of Killers-ish, I guess, with it's poppy/electro feel, which makes it odd that I'd recommend it, because I really dislike The Killers. However, these three songs are pretty rad, especially Time to Pretend, which promotes illicit drug use and sleeping with models (and then dumping the models when they're old and pregnant). It's a good message for the kids.

Kings of Leon "Sex on Fire" "Use Somebody"
I'm sure you've heard Sex on Fire on the radio, but Use Somebody may be better. Everytime I hear Sex on Fire, I think of my Kamloops road trip last fall, and that makes me happy.

The Mars Volta "The Widow"
No idea how old or new this song is, and all I know of The Mars Volta is that some of the guys in the band used to be in At the Drive-In. Also, I know that I really like this song.

Willie Nelson "Blue Skies"
This is a weird, low-key cover of a song originally done by some dude named Irving Berlin (I Googled it). I have no idea why I like this song - I guarantee nobody else will - but I do. Maybe it has something to do with my general good mood, of late. Who knows.

The Raconteurs "Consolers of the Lonely"
Not the best Raconteurs song I've ever heard, but I still like it, and still turn it up every time it comes on the radio.

Counting Crows "A Long December"
I know, I know - everybody on the planet has heard this fucking song before. But I hadn't heard it in a long time, realized I didn't have it in my iTunes library, so I went out and got it and quickly realized why it's probably my favourite Counting Crows song. Best listened to while drunk.

Spacehog "In the meantime"
Old song from the 1990s that I heard on Sirius's grunge channel. Maybe you think you don't recognize it, but once you hear it, I'm sure you'll realize you have.

T.I. "Whatever you like" "Live your life"
Yes, here's the aforementioned rap that many of you won't like, but I do because a) it's catchy, and b) like the Kings of Leon, it reminds me of my Kamloops road trip, and Whatever you Like has actually become something of an inside joke amongst a few friends and I.

Yellowcard "Rough landing, Holly"
Don't have much to say about this song. I just like it.

One Day as a Lion "Wild International"
If you listen to this and think it sounds familiar, you're right - it does. Sounds an awful lot like Rage Against the Machine, right? That's because it's former/current? Rage guy Zach De La Rocha and the ex-drummer from The Mars Volta. As far as I know, it's the only song they've released so far.

So there you have it, ladies. Don't ever say I never did nothing for ya.

*Classic Times does not condone the illegal downloading of music. Buy it on iTunes or something. Or just drive over to Lars Ulrich's house and empty your pockets.

No comments: