Tuesday, January 20, 2009

:: Casual conversation ::

Earlier this week, Lanette wrote about her office's dress code, or lack thereof, and how even though she could dress like a slob, she chooses not to.

Very admirable.

If I was in her shoes, I'd probably wear slippers, track pants and my Boston Red Sox hat to work five days a week. And I'd only shower on Tuesdays (as opposed to my current schedule, which is Wednesdays only, plus every second civic holiday).

At my office, there is no official dress code, although I'm expected to look presentable. My boss has stated previously that he doesn't notice nor care what we wear, but did say that the boss directly above him does notice. Which basically boils down to business casual for all of us.

I basically rotate through three or four golf/polo shirts and about five dress shirts, and I wear jeans probably two or three times a week. And once in awhile, I dress up a little bit, for the sole purpose of making sure my boss's boss notices, and realizes that I'm not a complete slob. That way, on a Friday, I can wear my old college hoodie overtop of a T-shirt without anyone batting an eye. (And if anyone does bat an eye, the old 'it's way too cold in here not to be wearing a sweater,' excuse works every time, because the heat in our office sucks).

But this all brings me back to today.

In an effort to look like I can dress myself, I'm wearing black dress pants and a white dress shirt underneath a nice black and grey (or charcoal, for those of you who read labels or are gay) argyle-ish sweater. Plus I'm wearing some black leather dress shoes.

Keep in mind, there is no reason for me to look this way. I could've easily worn my green Nike golf shirt (untucked) any one of my nine pairs of American Eagle jeans, plus my beat-up Adidas sneakers, and I'd be fine.
But I thought I'd look more professional, for one day at least. Other than a regular compliment from my boss, who liked my sweater, it took all of five minutes for me to wish I hadn't got dressed up at all.

First person to see me in the morning, right at the back door: "Ooh, look at you, all fancy."

Yeah, thanks.

Second person: "Why are you are gussied up today?"

No reason. (And yes, they said 'gussied')

Third person, a few hours later: "Ooooh, nice sweater. Why are you all formal and fancy today? Why no jeans?"

My answer? A lie, of course.

"I have a job interview right after work. With (insert name of our competing company)."

That shut them the fuck up.

No comments: