Saturday, January 22, 2005

:: COLD FILTERED ::

Why I've been cold for 22 years

Anyone who has known me for most of my life - people like Chris, Ian, or Jer - know that, from time to time, I complain. Okay, so I complain a lot. Big deal.

One of the things I've whined about over the years is that my bedroom is always so God damn cold. And this time, my complaints are warranted-really, they are. My room's been the coldest one in the house ever since we built the place in 1986. It's ice-chilled in the winter; scorching in summer. And when you subtract the parts of two years I lived in Kamloops, and 8 months in Peace River, I've froze in that room for 22 years, give or take. This week I found out why.

I used to always blame the extreme temperatures on the fact that my room is above the uninsulated garage, which probably played a part. However, my mom informed me the other day that, for the first time since 1986 my dad replaced the filter in the furnace. Now, at first that didn't seem like a big deal. "How often are you supposed to change 'em?" I asked.

"About every year." Yes, every year.

Before this week, my dad had just been cleaning the filter periodically, rather than replacing it. He said that's what you are supposed to do, despite the fact that "REPLACEMENT FURNACE FILTERS" are readily available at various stores. If they didn't need replacing, then why would they sell them? After all, they've yet to put a "Furnace filter cleaning kit" on the marketplace. (Maybe my dad can patent one!)

Well, I figured that I'd give my dad the benefit of the doubt on this one. Maybe these filters were really expensive or something.

Or maybe not.

A replacement filter costs $2.99.Yup, three bucks.I found more than that when I cleaned out my car the other day for Christ's sake.

I've been cold for over two decades because my dad wouldn't pony up three dollars. That's a toonie and and loonie. The change you get when you pay for a Crossword scratch-and-win with a $5 bill.

12 quarters.

I haven't let him forget it all week.

"It's not because I'm cheap, I just didn't think it was necessary," is my dad's defence. Sadly, I believe him.

So now our house is considerably warmer, especially my room. Soon maybe I can take the plastic, heat-insulating wrap off my windows-which is what we had resorted to this year after I refused to once again freeze through the month of December.

Oh yeah, that plastic wrap? It cost more that $2.99.

No comments: