Sunday, August 31, 2003

"It's a meat shoppe during the day and a bar at night." - Mike, talking in his sleep while on the phone with Melissa.

I just got home from Kamloops, where I went for the long weekend. It was really great to see everyone again, which was the entire point of going in the first place. I slept at Mike's house for the most part, although we spent most of the time during the day at Meghan and Melissa's new place, which is considerably nicer than their last. Everyone was busy getting into school-mode - buying books, organizing schedules, building desks, but despite all that busy-ness we still had plenty of time to hang out.

I'll admit it, it felt a little strange to be around all my friends as they got prepared for another year at UCC and I didn't need to. At times, especially at the Omega office, it really felt like I was still in school. And while I admit it would be nice to be in the same town as Mike, Melissa, Meghan and the rest of 'em, I won't miss the assignments. Or the homework. Or the general chaos caused by too many assignments at once.

Things also seemed a bit odd because there were quite a few changes around town. For starters of course, Meghan and Melissa are in a different apartment, and since I made about 10,000 trips to their old place last year, it's sometimes tough to remember that I've got to drive a different direction now - I only made the mistake once, but I cleverly disquised my mistake as "the scenic route." Clever indeed. Also, at UCC there are all kinds of new things - a lot of new places to eat, new (stupid) parking lots, and a door on the second floor of the AE building that now leads to certain death and/or unrecognizable maiming.

But then again, no matter how many trees burn down, or how many new parking spots they add at the college, some things in Kamloops never change. Meghan and Melissa's hair might be a bit shorter, but for the most part everyone looked and acted the same as ever - Mike, Shaun and I were up until all hours of the night recording the radio show, Melissa regaled us with gross ("funny") email forwards she'd recieved from Sharon, Silv was worrying about...well, the things that Silv usuallly worries about, and Meghan was her usual awesome self except for a new dedication to school (I give it til Friday :P ) And Al was just Al. Like Melissa said, we're all just a bunch of goons. Always have been, probably always will be.

It may have only been a few days, but it was good to be back.

No comments: