Friday, July 24, 2009

:: You never know ::

Yesterday, light-throwing pitcher Mark Buehrle – whose fastball sits at about 85 mph – threw a perfect game for the Chicago White Sox. It was only the 18th perfect game in MLB history, and this one was preserved in the ninth-inning because of a ridiculous at-the-fence leaping catch/bobble/barehand grab by outfielder Dewayne Wise.

In 2007, Buehrle also pitched a no-hitter – marred only by a walk he gave up to Sammy Sosa (who he promptly picked off first base, anyhow).

"I don't know how to explain it," Buerhle said. "I never thought I'd throw a no-hitter. I never thought I'd throw a perfect game. I never thought I'd hit a home run. That's why I've said never say never in this game. Because crazy stuff can happen." (MLB.com)

Now, why am I writing about Mark Buerhle? Because he's right – crazy stuff can happen.

Crazy stuff like the Cannons – despite a terrible year in which we forgot how to hit and went 9-12-1 – beating the first-place team in our first playoff game yesterday, the same day Mark Buerhle pitched the best game of his life.

Bodes well for us this weekend, I think.

You never know, after all.

No comments: