Tuesday, October 11, 2005

"I love hockey so much I just wanna blow my load every time I think about it." - Sean, happy (to say the least) about the return of the NHL.

:: THANK GOD FOR ME ::

Well, it was Thanksgiving this past weekend. Normally, it's not a holiday I really give much attention to. It's just a day off and an excuse to gorge on turkey and pie. Good enough for me. Then Melissa asked me what I was thankful for, and I said I didn't know.

I really hadn't thought about it.

In previous years I've probably said I was thankful for the usual stuff that everyone always says they're thankful for - their friends, their family etc etc.

All good choices. Except this particular year I'm thankful for something else for a change.

Myself.

Yup, I'm gonna be a conceited bastard and say the thing I'm most thankful for this year is myself. That I'm here. Alive. Well. Doin' my thing (whatever that turns out to be).

For a decent majority of my life, I've spent a lot of energy on other people - lookin' out for 'em, cheering them up, or just generally being there for them, whether they needed or wanted it or not. Any number of my friends will tell you I'm too nice for my own good.

Well, this year has been no different. Except that I've now decided to try and not waste so much energy on other people. That's not to say that I'm not thankful for my friends, or won't be there for 'em should some catastrophic event arise, but I'm just not going to care so much about any of the piddly crap anymore - especially other people's crap.

Instead I'm just going to worry about myself, because this year, for the first time in awhile I actually have "me" stuff to focus on. And thus far this year I've done a decent job of doing that, so I'm thankful for myself.

Cuz if I didn't do any of that, I'd be pretty fucking miserable.

Now, like I said, I'm still thankful for everyone else, but for the time being I'm more thankful for myself.

You should be too.

No comments: