Friday, May 16, 2003


Worry not friends, my allegiance to the Vancouver Canucks, while shaken for awhile, is back at full strength. Confused? I'll explain...

I've written in previous posts about how I have been a long-suffering Canucks fan, but every year they break my heart. This year, with the road paved for them, I said that they owed me a win. But they blew it.

And I'll be the first to admit, I was very upset at their loss. Very Upset. My plan was to pick a new bottom-feeding team and stick with them until they, like the Canucks, made their way up near the top. And I figured that maybe this new team would actually win once they got there. My new team was going to be the Atlanta Thrashers I like Dany Heatley, and I already own a Thrashers jersey, so I figured that would be the way to go. Yes, I'll admit, I almost jumped off the bandwagon. Almost. After I told my plan to people, like Jeremy and Chris, I was ridiculed to an ridiculous extent. Fair-weather fan. Bandwagon Jumper. Asshole. Yep, heard 'em all.

But in the end, I knew I couldn't do it. Tonight, one of the TSN announcers, during the Ducks-Wild game, talked about the Canucks playoff run in '94 and said something like "you gotta wonder if they'll ever get that close again."

"Kiss my ass, of course they'll get that close again," was the thought that ran through my head. I realized that if I still get mad when someone takes a cheap-shot at the Canucks then I guess they're still my team.

It was touch-and-go for awhile, but I'm still on the Canuck's bandwagon. Always was, always will be. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment: No matter how many times I get my heart broken, I keep coming back for more.

No comments: