Thursday, May 08, 2003

It occured to me last night that perhaps some of my Canuck-playoff good luck charms are running out of steam. My t.v doesn't seem to hold quite the capabilities as it once did, and as for the playoff beard, well, it doesn't seem to be working any magic. But worry not, my fellow Canuck-puck lovers, re-inforcements have been called in.

For starters, I've brought out my biggest weapon, which I was saving for this type of desperation moment. That weapon? A ten-year-old ball of old, white hockey tape that I once had on my goalie stick when I was 12-years-old. Ten years ago I won 15 games in a row, and despite the fact that the tape was ripped and torn on my stick, I refused to re-tape the stick until we lost. When we eventually did, I rolled up the lucky tape and threw it in my hockey bag. Since I quit playing hockey It's been resting on the top shelf of a bookcase in my room. The tape's time has come.

And re-inforcement number 2. Just because I figured a person can never have too much Canuck related stuff in his or her house, I bought a Trevor Linden mini-stick for $4 from my brother's store. Coincendentally, in the store those mini-sticks were hanging on a hook right next to a Minnesota Wild jersey with a big black taped "X" on the logo.

Oh, one third and final thing. on this shelf above my computer I have a row of tiny little mugs with NHL team logos on them. I don't have all the teams, maybe 12 or 13. As I was looking at them I realized that of all the teams I had, only two of them were still in the playoffs.....The Canucks, and the Mighty Ducks. A Western Conference preview perhaps? If the mugs are anything like those prophetic magic 8-balls, and I assume they are, then I think the Canucks have a damn good chance tonight.

And don't try and tell me that the Wild will win, because I just ain't buying it. After all, the superstitions have spoken.

No comments: