Tuesday, December 08, 2009

:: Yes, we're talkin' 'bout practice ::

The best part of my day – best part of my week, actually – came about an hour ago, as I talked to a basketball coach on the phone. Now, I haven't met this coach in person yet, but – and excuse the generalization – he sounded like he was black. He had a distinct twang in his voice, and some of the slang/expressions he used led me to assume this. (In essence, he basically just sounded way cooler than anybody I know).

I asked the coach what he thought of his team this year – a local senior girls high school team. His response was priceless – he went on a good rant about how he didn't even know what his team would look like because more than half his players were still playing volleyball ("You tell me how my team looks. You're covering the volleyball, so I bet you know better than me!), and then this led into a diatribe about how the two high school sports' seasons overlapped too much (he's right) which made it impossible for him to coach, and for his team to get off to a good start.

Just yesterday, he told me, he only had five girls out to practice. For the next five minutes, he said the word 'practice' approximately 15 times (ex: "I can't even get half the team out to a practice?! How we s'posed to play games, man... I mean, only five girls at a practice! A practice!)

Of course, considering the bemused yet frustrated tone of his voice, not to mention his twang and accent, reminded me an awful, awful lot of another famous practice rant. In fact, it was almost identical, and I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing. That's how awesome it was. He is definitely my new favourite interview.


No comments: