Wednesday, September 09, 2009

:: Done with numbers ::

I've always been a bit of a numbers guy – not in a math way, mind you, because I'm awful at math – but more in a statistics kind of way. I love sports pools, always read box scores and when I was a kid I used to like helping my dad keep the stats for Chris's hockey team. 

And, just for kicks (and to prove scientifically that I am not the worst hitter on the Cannons) I decided to keep track of my batting stats for the current fall slo-pitch season. (For the record, I'm 13-for-17, good for a .765 batting average from the No. 2 spot in the order, my new home).

So, I'm a big dork. That said, I cannot stand some people's obsession with numbers that have absolutely zero meaning. Take today, for example.

Today, Sept. 9, 2009. Which of course, if written in abbreviated fashion, is 09/09/09.

Yep, the same number in all three columns! Mind blowing, no? Over the past few days, I've read a couple different things online about how amazing this apparently is. 

"It'll never happen again!" people say.

Wonderful. News flash, geniuses – you know what else will never happen again? 

08/09/09. And I didn't see anybody getting all riled up about that. 

Then, what finally set me off on this rant... A few minutes ago, a co-worker came up to me, all excited, and started a conversation. It went poorly, as you might have predicted.

"Hey - guess what special day it is today?!"
"I dunno, is it Christmas? Easter? Arbour Day?"
"No - it's 09/09/09!"
"Yeah, so what?"
"It's all nines! You didn't know that?!"
"I get it, but who cares? Come talk to me when it's Christmas."

This is what passes for excitement 'round these parts these days? Blue shoes and mean-nothing dates on a calendar?

I am far from the world's most interesting person, but seriously, people. Get a fucking hobby.

No comments: