Tuesday, March 22, 2005

:: Frustration in 1,000 words or less ::

My life right now is incredibly frustrating.

For a few reasons, I suppose, but mostly this: Work.

Now, in the grand scheme of things, work is going fine. There's not any problems, I'm doing a good job, etc etc, and I got an honourable mention and 4th place for Top Sports Feature Story of the Year at our company's awards last weekend.

What's frustrating is that it's taking up far too much of my time. Since starting last May, I've been fairly lucky (compared to the working conditions/hours in Alberta) - I haven't had to work too many weekends, evenings - maybe once a week at the most, and often once every two. With exceptions of course, for big events.

But for the past two weeks I've done nothing but work - and I'm missing out on a lot of stuff that I value a helluva lot more than a paycheque. Two weeks back, I missed a big party for Kelsey's birthday because I was in Toronto (not work related, so I'm not complaining...Toronto was rad). But this past week I missed another one - Jer's. I've missed Jeremy's birthday the past three years because of work. That's a shitty track record for one of my best buds.

Last weekend - last Saturday to be more precise - I skipped an Eagles' playoff game because I was at the Agrodome in Vancouver covering high school basketball, when I was supposed to be in Richmond at the awards, but really wanted to be at Shark's Club for an important person's 21st birthday.

See? Chaos.

Tomorrow, I just realized moments ago, will be no different. I have two fairly lengthy interviews scheduled for 4:30 p.m. I figured I'd get home a half hour or so late...no big deal. But now I'm goin to have to rush through those interviews, race out to Chilliwack for a fucking hockey game that I won't get home from until after midnight.

Then I'll need to be in the office by about 6 a.m. Thursday to write all three stories before our 9:30 a.m. deadline.

I find myself so incredibly frustrated with work right now it just makes me want to punch a hole through a door. I just feel trapped, like there's nothing but work on the horizon and I can't do anything about it. It just keeps piling on. And on.

Due to our stupid early a.m. deadlines, I've had to start going into work hours early to finish stories I didn't start til late the night before.

I don't get any sleep. I end up skipping lunch most of the time to fit everything in. And I miss out of tons of non-work related stuff after everyone else is done work for the day.

What a great life I lead. It's night like this that make me wish I had a typical 9-5 gig. Why the fuck'd I sign up for this anyway?

To top things off (and complain some more), I'm most likely working some nights this long weekend.

Kelsey wasn't exaggerating much when she told me the other day I'd probably end up missing my own birthday. (Which is next month for those who want to shower me with gifts).

I know this post is rambly and not that witty or interesting, which shows just how frustrated I am right now. When I started writing this I thought maybe it'd be profound or funny or something. But it's not.

It's just frustration and anger, in 1,000 words or less.

No comments: