Thursday, January 07, 2010

:: Oh, now I remember why the gym sucks ::

Last night, I went to the gym for the first time in awhile. It was obviously busy - as it is every January, as people try to make good on their New Year's resolutions. By mid-March the crowds have thinned out, but yesterday it was busy.

My gym is also quite small, and there are only five or so treadmills. When I was there, four of these treadmills were occupied by four mid-20s bleach blonde guys - the typical douchey gym rats. I didn't know just how douchey, however, until about the five-minute mark.

As I watched from a stationary bike, I realized that these four guys were all at the gym together, and not only that, but they appeared to be "racing" each other.

Yes, racing each other. On treadmills.

They were really into it, too. At one point, two of the guys actually high-fived each other, so pleased with themselves were they. Yes, while running. It was at this point that Ed Hardy himself (is he even a real guy?) could not have made them any more douchebaggy.

Douchiness notwithstanding, the real problem here is that they were racing. Did I mention they were on treadmills? They kept the "race" going for about 5-6 minutes, at least. And they really seemed to be getting into it. The problem, in case you haven't already figured it out, is that treadmills aren't ideal for racing.

Sure, the four guys kept bumping their respective speeds up and up and up, but the thing is, once one guy gets to a level that nobody else can manage, it's over. Just stop. He wins. He's the fastest. Simple math suggests that, whether you are racing to 1 km or 1,000 km, he's getting there first. There are no speed bursts, so slowing down, no winning by a nose. No drafting. No nothing.

Just one speed. That's it.

If they were simply goofing around, then maybe I'd give them a break, but I couldn't tell for sure that they were, and - judging simply by the high levels of douchery - I would guess that they were more serious than not.

God I'll be glad when the herd thins again, and all the gotta-get-in-shape-for-2010 folks give up and head back to watch TV. Because one they're on the couch, they can high-five all they want.

No comments: