Saturday, March 14, 2009

:: 411 ::

There is a gentleman I work with in my office who is, to put it lightly, old-fashioned. He's 50 years old, and very classy. Always wears a suit to work - usually a vintage suit from the '40s. Hell, I've run into him in the mall on a weekend and he's wearing a suit, decked out to the 9s. He also used to drive a big old Mercedes until it broke down last year.

So yeah, he's an old fashioned chap. Nothing wrong with that - it just makes him quirky. However, it has its drawbacks. For starters, he is utterly clueless and lost when it comes to computer technology - which is trouble considering that's a signficant part of our job. But somehow, he manages to get by.

But on Friday, he did something I could not understand. He needed to find a phone number of a local restaurant. For starters, I'm sure this number was in the phone book. However, if it wasn't, the most logical next option is to look it up online, especially considering that he's sitting there with a computer in front of him.

But no, instead he decided to pick up the phone and dial 411 for directory assistance. I didn't even know this service still existed - or that anybody used it, but knowing this guy as I do, I have to believe that using the Internet never even occurred to him.

I clued into what he was doing when I overheard him talking to the automated system.

"Business."

"White Rock."

"West Beach Bar and Grill."

"No, West Beach..."

He had to repeat himself a couple times, but eventually I heard him get through, and he got the information he was seeking. As soon as I realized what was happening - about midway through his 411 call - I thought I'd find the info for myself.

First I went to Google. Then I typed in the restaurant. Then the website came up. The phone number was listed on the main page (As was a full listing of the weekend entertainment, which is what he was calling for the in the first place).

The whole thing took, oh, maybe 11 seconds.

His phone call took five minutes. And cost 75 cents.

It was also during this debacle that I e-mailed Kristyl, whose desk is right next to our old-fashioned co-worker:

"Wait...is he actually dialing 411? What is this, 1998? Some people are just so technologically stunted it's baffling.

"To quote Garth Algar, "Live in the now, man."

No comments: