Monday, February 16, 2009

:: A case of the Mondays ::

If you've ever read Christene's blog, you may have noticed that she is not a fan (to put it lightly) of Friday office banter. You know the type – the herds of people who come by your desk throughout the day saying things like "TGIF!" or, "I'm sooo glad it's finally Friday!" as though this week somehow took longer than any previous week since the Egyptians created the modern calendar.*

*I actually have no idea who created the modern calendar, and a Google search proved inconclusive, so I decided to credit the fine folks of Egypt. They seemed like smart people, after all. I mean, have you seen the pyramids?

(editor's note: If you haven't read Christene's blog, you really should, because it's usually funnier than anything you'll find here. She's in the process of becoming a professionally trained comedienne, and I'm just a hack with an attitude problem)

But anyways... back to my original point: people should shutup about Fridays. But as much as that bugs me, too, I've decided that Monday office banter is on an equal footing, if not worse.

I cannot count how many times today I had to have a "Monday conversation" with someone.

This is how one of these conversations is typically supposed to play out:

"Hey, how's it going?"
"Pretty good I guess...for a Monday."
"I hear that!"

It's at this point that the two people engaged in said conversation usually high five, so pleased with themselves and the fact that they've found a kindred spirit who shares their view. Either that, or they slink back to their desks and slug their luke-warm coffee until the caffeine numbs their tortured souls until the clock strikes 12:01 a.m.

Here's how that same conversation went with me today, when approached. (I'm the second person, if you couldn't tell).

"Ugh, I really hate Mondays, don't you?"
"About the same as I hate Tuesday, or Wednesdays."
"Really? Monday's are waaay worse."
"Why?"
"Because it's Monday!"

Good argument. Way to back up your argument with real fact-based analysis. This is equivalent to the elementary school, "Because I said so" defence.

So, you can probably see what I'm dealing with here. And though I admit that this obnoxious banter is not that different from the TGIF nonsense, there is one thing that makes it worse: On a Friday, I know that I am, potentially, mere hours away from drinking away all recollection of this "witty" water cooler talk.

But on a Monday, not only do I have to put up with it, but I'm four and a half days away from the sweet, sweet memory blackouts brought forth by jagerbombs and vodka. (Unless of course, I decided to bring back Kelsey's Drunk Tuesday tradition, which isn't entirely out of the question.)

Ahhh, sweet alcohol, it eases the pain.

No comments: