Tuesday, May 04, 2004

"Okay, I'll read you the riot act now about photos. No cheque presentations. No team pictures. No trophy presentation pictures. You'll get a million calls and e-mails about them, but just say no. We don't do that. Those pictures suck." - Brian, photographer at work.

Did you hear that? No cheques. No teams. Greatest. News. Ever. I hated doing all of those things at my old paper, but we had to do 'em. It'll be nice to have a sports section that doesn't just look like a god damn yearbook.

It's been two days at my new job. So far so good. It's so incredibly different than what I'm used to that it'll take awhile to get accustomed to things. Shorter deadlines. WAY bigger editorial staff. And editor who isn't a good friend of mine like Ken was and who is more hands-on. Plus there's extra pressure because it's a bigger paper at a bigger, better company. (Everyone there makes fun of Bowes. It's got a pretty big rep for being a cheap company by the sounds of it.)

I really feel like a rookie, and it'll take awhile for me to get into the groove I'm sure.

I've also been fighting a cold the last three days, and despite not being stressed about the new job like I expected to be, I've been incredibly tired lately. Fighting off yawns at work. Crashing and burning almost as soon as I get home. Going to bed WAY earlier than usual. I just feel shitty. Hopefully a bunch of medicine and vitamin C fixes things, because I'd really like to have some energy by the weekend.

On the plus side, the paper comes out tomorrow and I'm anxious to see what my three stories look like. In other news, the Record-Gazette is going to hell in a handbasket without me and Ken. The paper this week looks bloody awful according to people I know in Grande Prairie, and from reading the sports section online, I can tell you that its just terrible. I'm not just saying that because I want to feel like nobody could do as good a job as me, but it's really bad. They've got stories on people from all over the damn place, I'm sure they just pulled them all from other far-away papers. Oh well, it's not my problem. Thank-God.

In other news, Mike officially departed for Vulcan, Aberta tonight via everyone's favourite mode of transportation - Greyhound. I'm sure there were a few sad people in Kamloops who won't get to see him for awhile, and I like Shaun's MSN name today: There's no use crying over spilled Mike.

Good luck in Alberta. Also, enjoy your LOOOOOONG bus ride there.

No comments: