Friday, December 29, 2006

:: A Blog to send us off ::
12 months under the microscope

"I'm choking on my own delight." - Buchs (Jan. 8)

"You should beat up Jesus, I'll give you five bucks." - Amanda (Jan. 14)

playing a tough game of Chaser...
Me: Fuck this, I quit!
Amanda: Fine, you can't play anymore then!
(Jan. 28)

"My mohawk is better than Jesus." - Jer (Feb. 5)

"Do brown people go to Merritt?" - Kels, starting a comment-war (Feb. 7)

"I got Bre flowers and all that shit. Stupid girls - flowers die anyway. I should get her a fence, that'd last a lot longer." - Ian (Feb. 14)

"If it had been about a llama and a tranvestite It'd be a different story." - Buchs, after saying he wouldn't watch Brokeback Mountain (Feb. 26)

"You might as well break the law before it's illegal." - Buchs, trying to convince Ian to chuck a "mashed potato ball" at a street sign. Apparently when Ian's in the RCMP breaking the law will be doubly bad. (March 13)

"Ahh...that's good. It's like pissing in the mouth of God." - Buchs, peeing outside (March 26)

"To quote Aristotle: Fuck you guys." - Buchs (April 2)

"I'm just a farmboy who occasionally likes to get jiggy with it." - Buchs, wishing he lived in the sticks (Apr. 9)

"Let's go get stoned and play bingo!" - Tara (Apr. 16)

"I hate soup! I don't wanna eat food that I'm drinking!" - Sean (April 29)

"Kelsey, there's something about you that makes me want to shimmy." - Amanda (May 7)

Nick: Where's Buchs?
Bobby: He's probably asleep.
Nick: No, he was with Amanda when we left from playing ball.
Bobby: Oh. Well, there's still a good chance he could be laying
down still.

"Is a pap test like a massage? You know, you pay a little extra
for a happy ending?"
- Buchs

"Japanese people don't dig. They just use their ingenuinity and
playstation it out."
- Buchs again, unfortunately (May 13)

"This computer lacks the appropriate emoticons to express my
befuzzlement."
- Mike, in an msn conversation, after reading over the latest post's comments and discovering that a certain someone is dating a certain someone else. (May 19)

Melissa: I'm talking to Lorne right now, and he says he's never once ate wedding cake. Isn't that bizarre?
Me: I'm talking to Lorne too. About how and where we'd go to both
become ninjas. (June 3)

"I think it's safe to say we finished off the Finishers." - Scott (June 23)

"Welcome to Enderby. Population: Losers." - Jer (July 6)

"I can't ever take it easy because I have no idea what excessive is. I just keep going and going." - Bucholtz (July 6)

"If I fold the seats down in the Cougar I could have sex with
like four people at once."
- Kelsey (July 18)

"One (Beer)? Only one? This is MeatFest not a pussy convention!" - Dave (Sept. 20)

"Sometimes I think about the things that I say, and my brain's
like 'What? Are you fucking serious?'"
- Buchs (Nov. 4)

2006 featured many a thing, right here on this blog even. There was the short-lived yet popular "Weekend Awards" which died a slow death because I stopped feeling like doing them, and also
because, for a stretch, people weren't doing anything I felt like rewarding them for.

But a number of things stayed constant - for one, my ever-changing moods. I ranted. I raved. I made fun of people and caused many a person to laugh. Made people cry, too. Twice.

In real life, away from the blog, it was a year with all kinds of happenings, yet was still largely familiar. We all agreed that 2005 was probably the worst year we could ask for - for a number
of reasons, so 2006 didn't really need to aim high to be better. I'd say it likely passed the test, if for no other reason than nobody almost died in car accidents or other less-than-stellar
circumstances.

There were some shitty things this year - for me the biggest being my grandma dying in August. Rarely having to deal with such issues, I sort of forgot how it feels to lose somebody. Sucks. Hard.

And my getting in shape plan de-railed around mid-year, when the gym stopped being directly on my way home. I still probably lost around 8-10 pounds (maybe) but it's not good enough. 2007 will have to be another big year. Has to be.

Lots of good stuff happened too, though - I bought a townhouse finally, we had our best slo-pitch season ever, finishing in (gasp!) second place. Brad came home from G.F. Strong at the beginning of the year. We got drunk a lot too - Funtastic, Merritt, rafting, and then pretty much every Friday, as per usual. In addition to ingesting near-unsafe amounts of alcohol, there were a lot of familiarities between '06 and, well, the last five years. Nobody really came and went from the group, although there are a few people who don't come 'round as much anymore. And what would a year with us be without new pairs of people hooking up? Some days I swear to God it's like an episode of Friends, people.

But considering where I was at the end of last year - on the street in front of my parents' house having a shitfaced yelling match with Kels about God knows what - I'd say things were pretty solid.

2007? No predictions. No outlandish hopes. No resolutions. No nothing.

Instead, we'll head into next year with the same battle plan once employed by famed French general Napolean Bonaparte:

First we'll show up, then we'll see what happens.

Almost hard to believe he lost.

No comments: